Kia will soon launch its electric vehicle onto the international stage November 18th, 2013
As fans look forward to music themed Kia Souls, Kia is proud to announce a new all-electric version of the Kia Soul that will be available globally.
Kia Motors has confirmed that a new all-electric version of the Kia Soul is scheduled to go on sale in overseas markets during the second half of 2014. The ‘Kia Soul EV’ will be Kia’s first electrically-driven, zero-emissions family car marketed outside Korea.
Embodying the cheerful design language of the recently-launched second-generation Kia Soul, the Soul EV is a uniquely designed battery electric vehicle, practical for everyday use.It will be perfectly suited for city commuters thanks to its class-leading range.
“The new Soul EV will be at the forefront of Kia’s new ‘Clean Mobility’ program to provide environmentally-friendly transport to our customers around the world when it goes on sale globally next year,” comments Thomas Oh, Executive Vice President and COO, Kia Motors Corporation.
See below for details of the eco-friendly Soul EV, which embodies both style and function!
– Equipped with a high-capacity 27 kWh lithium-ion polymer battery pack, the Soul EV will be able to drive more than 200 km (or 120 miles) on a single charge.
– The absence of engine noise, combined with special sound-proofing materials, will make the production Kia Soul EV extremely quiet inside, contributing to the exceptional refinement levels similar to those of premium vehicles.
– Soul EV will offer buyers added sparkle with projection type headlamps, LED positioning lamps, LED rear combination lamps, plus aerodynamically shaped 16” inch alloy wheels.
– Thanks to instantly available torque, the electric drive train will ensure that the Soul EV is a fun-to-drive vehicle with rapid acceleration (standstill to 100 kph is predicted to take less than 12 seconds) and a top speed in the region of 145 kph. To maximize the efficiency and potential range of the Soul EV, regenerative braking captures and recycles into the battery the energy generated while the car is coasting and braking.
– Because of its nearly silent operation, for the benefit of pedestrian safety, the Soul EV will be equipped with a VESS (Virtual Engine Sound System) that emits an audio alert at speeds below 20 kph and whenever the car is reversing.
<Exterior Features and Improvements>
– Adoption of an all-new platform (based on the latest Kia cee’d) with a longer (2570 mm) wheelbase, a 29% stiffer body shell and upgraded suspension, delivering greatly improved ride, handling and refinement, plus more mature and composed on-road behavior.
– Like the 2014 Kia Soul, the Soul EV will have head-turning styling and exterior features that project a cutting-edge image and discreetly highlight its electric power train.
– The smooth new-look is inspired by the 2012 Kia Track’ster concept and retains the iconic square-shouldered broad stance of the original Soul model.
– Inside the cabin, Soul EV will be fitted with a unique Supervision instrument cluster and center stack with an eight-inch display screen.
– Appropriately for an eco-friendly vehicle, interior components and trim will use an increased range of recycled materials including Bio Plastic, Bio Foam, Bio Fabric and Bio PET Felt, together with low volatile organic compounds and newly developed antibacterial materials and paint.
– Charging is accomplished by plugging the Soul EV into any standard household electricity supply.
– Recharging times are up to five hours for a fully depleted battery using a standard 240v or 230v household outlet, or 25 minutes on ‘fast’ charge with 100 kW output.
Learn more about Kia Soul: